April Fools! Learn more about the organizations that helped make TaskRABBITS happen

April 1, 2021

In the 10+ years that TaskRabbit has been around, one fun thing we’ve learned is how much our community loves animals. That’s why this April Fools’ Day we decided to spark a little laughter and cheer by orchestrating a playful prank where we introduced a new service called “TaskRABBITS”. While this service wasn’t real, we hope all the adorable bunny photos brought a smile to your face. 

Now that the fun and games have come to an end, we want to highlight the real bunny heroes— our partner organizations and some of the top rabbit advocates in the US and UK.

Keep reading to learn more about these amazing organizations, their missions, and a few important bunny facts that may surprise you.

The House Rabbit Society, based in Richmond CA, is an international nonprofit animal welfare organization working to rescue abandoned rabbits. The main focus of their work is to find these rabbits permanent homes and through education, help people better understand these animals and reduce the number of unwanted rabbits.

The Los Angeles Rabbit Foundation is passionate about helping abandoned domestic rabbits. By promoting spay and neuter, providing education on rabbit care, volunteering, fostering, and rehabilitating rescued rabbits they hope to improve the lives of rabbits in their community.

The Long Island Rabbit Rescue Group is an all-volunteer organization whose mission is to rescue abused, neglected or abandoned rabbits and place them in loving, indoor homes. Based in Long Island, NY, this organization helps to educate the public on the special care and health needs of domestic rabbits.

Little Furries Rabbit Rescue is a UK-based organization whose goal is to rescue and rehabilitate  abused, abandoned and neglected domestic rabbits. Through their work they give rabbits a second chance by finding them loving homes where they can survive and thrive.

One of the best things to come out of our partnerships with these fantastic organizations is all of the newfound knowledge and appreciation we have for these animals. Here are a few important facts about rabbits that you may not have known. 

  • Despite being the mascot, Easter causes rabbits more harm than good: Every year around Easter, many people decide to buy or adopt a rabbit for their family. However, due to the responsibility required to care for rabbits, many are subsequently abandoned or surrendered. Due to this troubling trend, rabbit advocates are working hard to break this association and educate current and future rabbit owners about taking good care of these animals.
  • Rabbits are very social and can live with domesticated cats and dogs: Rabbits are social animals who thrive in the company of others – humans, house cats, trained dogs, and spayed or neutered companions of their own species.
  • Most rabbits don’t like to be picked up and carried around: Rabbits can be taught to accept routine handling, but since they are ground-loving creatures they are likely to feel most comfortable on the floor or beside you, rather than on your lap.
  • Despite popular belief, rabbits can’t survive off carrots: 80% of a rabbit’s diet is actually hay! The other 20% consists of leafy greens, vegetables and herbs, pelleted rabbit food & freshwater. 
  • Rabbits can live 10+ years: A spayed/neutered indoor rabbit can live a much longer, much healthier life than his outdoor and wild brethren.
  • Rabbits should be adopted from a shelter/rescue group, rather than bought from a breeder/pet store. Every year thousands of bunnies are surrendered and sadly euthanized simply because there are more rabbits available than there are people to care for them. Looking to bring a rabbit into the family? Adopt don’t shop.
  • Rabbit teeth never stop growing. As a result, they explore by chewing on things. This is why they love to play with chew toys, which help wear their teeth down. This is also why it’s imperative to rabbit-proof your house and tidy up any exposed wires! 

Want to see the joke? Head to our Instagram.